Monday, November 17, 2008

If Kissing A Girl Is Wrong Then I Don't Want To Be Right



If Kissing A Girl Is Wrong Then I Don't Want To Be Right (Ramsey Lewis vs. Katy Perry vs. Diana Ross)

If Kissing A Girl Is Wrong Then I Don't Want To Be Right (Mash-up) by DJ Dain

[FileDEN Mirror]

This is one of the few mash-ups where I feel the instrumental and vocal combination drastically change the attitude and even the meaning of the song. There's something about having Katy Perry placed against the sensual grooves of Ramsey Lewis that transforms her lyrics into a genuine confession of confusion and curiosity towards her sexual identity. This is further supported by Diana Ross's vocal which becomes a much more personal ballad, rather than a celebratory party-style "coming out" song that her original score supplied. One of my favorite parts of this mix is right at the end when Perry's vocal is time-stretched over the jazzy out-tro to create a more sensual swell of sound.

My friends in the LGBT community have really enjoyed this one when I previewed it to them. Please leave me some comments and let me know your thoughts too!


No comments: